How to Choose Next Semester's Classes
Step 1: Identify and/or Clarify Your Educational Goal
See a counselor if you need help clarifying your educational goal.
Step 2: Review General Education Requirements for your educational goal. Choose from:
- General Education for Associates Degrees found in the General Catalog and Schedule of Classes
- IGETC for transfer to UC and Cal State University campuses
- CSU Certified Plan for Cal State campuses only
- Individual, specific pattern for independent (private) or out-of-state campuses
Step 3: Identify General Education Courses You Still Need to Complete
- Mark requirements still needed
- Pay special attention to the "Basic Four" (with C grades or better)
1) Oral Communication (for CSU only)
2) Written Composition
3) Critical Thinking
4) Math/Quantitative Reasoning
- Note courses with prerequisites that involve multi-semester sequences such as math, chemistry, physics and English
Step 4: Identify Major Preparation Courses (use the General Catalog or www.assist.org )
- Make a list of the major preparation courses noting which may also satisfy General Education requirements
- If you have a transfer major such as engineering, computer science or liberal studies for elementary teaching, note that there are different General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Step 5: Prepare Your Schedule
- Make math and English classes a priority (use the charts in the Schedule of Classes). Take the next level of math and/or English if you have not yet reached the levels required for your educational goal. Fill these in first.
- Identify any prerequisites needed for classes in future semesters. Fill these in next.
- Identify the courses required as preparation for your major. Add these.
- Identify General Education courses from Step 3 which remain. Add these.
Step 6: Choose Your Classes